Board of Directors
Please note: Service on Code for Canada’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board members’ duties.
Code for Canada is seeking individuals to join our Board of Directors.
About Code for Canada
Code for Canada is a non-profit organization headquartered in Toronto, Ontario. Our mission is to promote and enable civic technology and design, civic education, and collaboration between the public, private and nonprofit sectors.
We believe in a more prosperous, sustainable, and equitable Canada, driven by improved policy and citizen engagement, and enabled through civic technology and design.
Code for Canada is an active participant in local, regional, national, and international conversations about civic tech and digital government. We deliver strategy and programming, including:
- A fellowship program that will embed teams of three people with strong tech, design and data skills into government departments to work on the issues that matter to Canadians.
- A community network program to support the creation and growth of grassroots civic tech groups in cities across the country.
- A suite of education and training workshops to help governments, community groups and entrepreneurs learn how to put technology, data and design to work for the public good.
About the Board
Code for Canada’s Board supports the work of the organization and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Code for Canada’s executive director (ED) and staff, the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. It is expected that each Board member will sit on at least one working group/committee of the organization.
Specific Board responsibilities include:
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED
- Developing and implementing Code for Canada’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Code for Canada for evaluating impact, and regularly measuring performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and committee meetings
- Approving Code for Canada’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the ED and Board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board members
- Working with the ED and other Board members to ensure that Board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing Code for Canada to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring Code for Canada’s commitment to a diverse Board and staff
Board terms and participation:
- Code for Canada’s Board members serve three-year terms and are eligible for reappointment for one additional term.
- Board meetings are held monthly and committee meetings are held as required.
- Service on Code for Canada’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board members’ duties.
We are currently seeking individuals with experience in any of the following areas/sectors:
- Finance or accounting
- Technology or start-up sector
Ideal candidates will have the following characteristics:
- A commitment to and understanding of Code for Canada’s unique value proposition, with an appreciation for the technology sector, community building and citizen engagement
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, commitment to inclusion and collaboration
How to apply
Please send your resume or LinkedIn profile along with a brief statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until August 24, 2017.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
On behalf of the Board of Directors, thank you for considering this opportunity.