Applications for the 2018 Code for Canada Fellowship are now closed.
Become a Fellow
How It Works
The Code for Canada fellowship is open to software developers, user experience designers and product managers who want to use their skills for good. Cross-functional teams of three fellows spend 10 months inside government tackling complex problems and working on things that matter.
Recruitment & onboarding
Discovery & user research
Building, testing & iterating
Who are the fellows?
Code for Canada fellows are:
- Highly collaborative
- Adaptable and resilient
- Skilled communicators
- Motivated to use their skills to make life better for Canadians
What makes a great software development fellow?
- Highly proficient full-stack developer
- Experience applying industry web and security standards and best practices to your work that can be adopted by others
- Proficient understanding of agile and iterative development processes
- Ability to work closely with designers to ensure applications are user friendly
- Able to effectively identify and communicate a reasonable development structure with designers and product managers
- Flexibility in trying new approaches and languages
What makes a great UX design fellow?
- Confident leading your team and external stakeholders through design processes
- Experience designing online user experiences for complex web content and applications
- Ability to translate research findings (both generative and usability) into a design strategy
- Ability to generate design materials, including user requirements, storyboards, scenarios, flowcharts, design prototypes, and wireframes
- Demonstrated knowledge about inclusive and accessible design, and ability to design experiences that work for everyone from the start
- Ability to work closely with developers to ensure designs are implemented according to specifications and on schedule
What makes a great product management fellow?
- Experience leading teams through agile and/or iterative development processes
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders to understand and support user needs.
- Proven ability to set, track, and share product success metrics
- Experience in developing and implementing product strategies and roadmaps
- Ability to work closely with designers and developers to identify, follow, and work to a reasonable project plan
- Experience in content creation is highly valuable
Is the fellowship paid?
Where do fellows work?
Our commitment to inclusion
Tell us you’re interested!
Applications for the 2018 Code for Canada Fellowship have closed, but you can let us know you’re interested in becoming a fellow and we will contact you ahead of our next recruitment.
We’re leading a nationwide movement, and we want you to be part of it.
Join our mailing list to be first to hear about opportunities to get involved.