Become a Fellow
How It Works
The Code for Canada fellowship is open to web developers, user experience designers and product managers who want to use their skills for good. Cross-functional teams of three fellows spend 10 months inside government tackling complex problems and working on things that matter.
Recruitment & onboarding
Discovery & user research
Building, testing & iterating
2018 Fellowship Challenges
Public Service Commission of Canada
As the country’s largest employer, the Government of Canada strives to offer a fair and inclusive hiring process. Code for Canada fellows will support this work by designing digital tools to modernize the government’s online hiring system, and make the experience more accessible and seamless for applicants.
Toronto Transportation Services
Who are the fellows?
Fellows are mission-driven digital professionals with skills in web development, product management and user experience design. They have a proven track record of delivering great digital products, and are excited about the opportunity to work on things that matter.
Code for Canada fellows are:
- Highly collaborative
- Adaptable and resilient
- Skilled communicators
- Motivated to use their skills to make life better for Canadians
What makes a great web development fellow?
- Highly proficient full-stack developer
- Experience applying industry web and security standards and best practices to your work that can be adopted by others
- Proficient understanding of agile and iterative development processes
- Ability to work closely with designers to ensure applications are user friendly
- Able to effectively identify and communicate a reasonable development structure with designers and product managers
- Flexibility in trying new approaches and languages
What makes a great UX design fellow?
- Confident leading your team and external stakeholders through design processes
- Experience designing online user experiences for complex web content and applications
- Ability to translate research findings (both generative and usability) into a design strategy
- Ability to generate design materials, including user requirements, storyboards, scenarios, flowcharts, design prototypes, and wireframes
- Demonstrated knowledge about inclusive and accessible design, and ability to design experiences that work for everyone from the start
- Ability to work closely with developers to ensure designs are implemented according to specifications and on schedule
What makes a great product management fellow?
- Experience leading teams through agile and/or iterative development processes
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders to understand and support user needs.
- Proven ability to set, track, and share product success metrics
- Experience in developing and implementing product strategies and roadmaps
- Ability to work closely with designers and developers to identify, follow, and work to a reasonable project plan
- Experience in content creation is highly valuable
Where do fellows work?
Can non-citizens apply for the fellowship?
Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents are welcome to apply if they are legally entitled to work in Canada for the duration of the fellowship. We are unable to sponsor candidates for visas.
Positions with some hosting governments may carry security clearance, and therefore citizenship, requirements.
Is the fellowship paid?
When is the application deadline?
What's the application process like?
Candidates will be reviewed throughout the summer with a series of technical and nontechnical assessments and interviews. All assessments will take place remotely; you do not need to travel to be considered.
Here’s our timeline:
- June 11, 2018: application opens
- July 2, 2018 (9 p.m. EDT): application deadline
- July and August, 2018: technical and non-technical assessments and interviews
- Late August, 2018: offers extended to successful candidates
- Oct. 1, 2018: fellowship onboarding begins
Our commitment to inclusion
Apply to Become a Fellow
Ready to use your technology and design skills for good? Just click on the hiring stream that represents your strongest superpower to start your fellowship journey.
We’re leading a nationwide movement, and we want you to be part of it.
Join our mailing list to be first to hear about opportunities to get involved.